Wordsworth 2017 Day Four: Brainstorming for Exhibition

Posted by: on July 13, 2017   |Comments (0)|Student Engagement

Today, we started on our project for the week. First, we walked to the second floor of the museum to see the case where our project will be displayed. This was helpful because we saw how much space we had, which gave us an idea of what we could create. After this, we returned to the library to brainstorm ideas about the project. During our brainstorming session, we created a diagram detailing our ideas for the display. We chose excerpts from two of his poems, “Description of a Beggar” and the boat scene from “The Prelude.” For each manuscript, we chose different aspects of the manuscript to feature.

In “Description of a Beggar,” we asked our audience if they ever thought about the making of a poem to get them to think about different elements that go into the creation of a poem. We displayed the color of the ink written on the manuscript because this can tell a person when the manuscript was written. We learned newly written ink is usually black or blue, while older ink fades to brown. The size and color of the paper itself can also determine a manuscript’s age, as paper yellows and shrinks with age. We also established that revisions are important because they strengthen one’s understanding of Wordsworth’s additional thoughts that shaped his poem.

In “The Prelude,” we displayed members of Wordsworth’s family that contributed to his work, especially his sister Dorothy, wife Mary, and daughter Dora, who all copied his work on different occasions. Our main question would be “Have you ever thought about who writes a poem?” so that people would understand how multiple people come together to create one work.

After we created our diagram, we presented our ideas to Jeff. I greatly enjoyed this activity because my peers and me collaborated to better understand each other’s points of view. This allowed me to see these manuscripts in a way I had never seen before, which helped me understand them even more clearly. I’m looking forward to creating this project tomorrow and learning more of my classmate’s ideas on these manuscripts to help me better understand Wordsworth’s poems.

Diane LaMattina