Let the Roman Adventure Begin!

Posted by: on January 22, 2016   |Comments (0)|Uncategorized

Tiber river

Providence College in Rome Spring 2016 has gone live!  Our Program has begun its tenth semester of transforming lives with the study abroad experience at the heart of the Church.

image

Last week, 29 students from Providence College and I arrived in the Eternal City for a semester abroad.  The CEA Rome Team welcomed us with open arms and big smiles upon our arrival and then gave us an intense four day Orientation Program that helped our entry into the Italian way of life and our academic study program.

CEA building Rome

CEA Rome Center

image

This week we started classes and Monday morning we began our New Testament in the Eternal City course, which is central to our PC in Rome experience.  The course consists of classroom lectures and site visits around the city so that Rome becomes a “classroom” for us.

image

image

During this first week of introductions, orientations, and new beginnings, I asked the students what they were hoping for from their study abroad experience in Rome.  We talked about why they chose Rome as a destination and what they expected from our Program.  Here’s what some of them said:

image

“I am hoping to take advantage of the deep culture of art, history, and theology that this city has to offer. I also want to gain a more broad cultural perspective.” Jamie Russo

“I want to spend less time thinking of myself and my culture… I want to be taken outside of my comfort zone in a way that changes the way I see the world and myself.” Alley Harbour

image

“…I am hoping to gain world knowledge through staying in Rome and traveling across Europe. I am very excited to see many of the sights that I have only heard about and eat my way across Europe.” Bryan Blum

image

“This semester I would love to become comfortable speaking Italian among locals. I also hope to visit my grandfather’s relatives, and see pictures of him when he was a child in Italy. I’m very thankful for this opportunity to study in Rome, and truly want to make the most of it.” Gianna Luciano

image

“I chose to come to Rome because of my family ties. I have family living in Sulmona, in the Abruzzo Region of Italy. I’m hoping that I can get in touch with my family roots and history while I’m here. Rome is also the perfect city to further expand my Roman Catholic beliefs.” Peter Rocco DiCenso

image

20140217-193532.jpg

Go Friars!