Posted by: on February 5, 2016   |Comments (0)|Writing Center

My name is Mckenzie Tavella and I am from Fairfield, Connecticut. I am a sophomore at Providence College and am an English: Creative Writing and Psychology double major. Some of my favorite things are Harry Potter, both the series and the films, Marvel Superheroes, and sketching Disney cartoons. I love music, art and writing. However, more than anything, I love dogs.

I have a proposition to offer – I believe that second semester should be renamed to sick semester. Is it me, or does it seem like every single student gets sick at least once second semester? Of course, it is flu season, and sinus infection season, and laryngitis, and common cold; I could go on and on. I have been disease-ridden with at least two sinus infections during both of my spring semesters at Providence College so far. However, a perk of repeatedly getting sick is that I am now an expert at the “sick semester” in college. I am going to share my secret to success of sickness with you, but you have to trust that I know what I am talking about, even if they seem a little wacky. Also, if you don’t do them all, it’s no longer full proof.

Okay, the first thing that you have to do is drink orange juice constantly. By constantly, I mean multiple glasses a day. Also, the orange juice in Ray is not real orange juice, but simply water with orange flavoring. Purchase a bottle of orange juice from Alumni or Dunkin Donuts. Next, once you get bored of orange juice, switch to water. You need to have at least four bottles each day, and that’s when you aren’t sick.

The next task might seem a little gross, but here it goes- don’t be afraid to blow your nose. First off, no one likes a “sniffler,” especially during a quiz or exam. Don’t keep the bad, yucky – let’s just call it “stuff” – in your system. Now this one might seem surprising but stay away from cough drops, they don’t work. If you have a soar throat that you want to fix fast, get a glass of warm water and fill it with salt, then gargle the entire glass. For food purposes, chicken noodle soup always, always hits the spot, no matter what. I also recommend adding some saltine crackers in the soup, accompanied by ginger ale because sometimes the “yucky stuff” can give you a stomachache as well.

This last one has been passed down in my family and is an old, Italian trade secret. Invest in a bottle of Vicks vapor rub and don’t just put it on your nose, but put it on your upper chest and … your feet. Yes, I know this may seem a bit unconventional, but it works. After rubbing Vicks on your feet, cover them with plain, white cotton socks. By the morning, the Vicks should be gone and you should feel a lot better. Everyone do campus a favor and follow this advice, it will work and will help us all.