The Importance of Exercise in College

Posted by: on January 25, 2016   |Comment (1)|Staff

ShaneQuinnGUEST BLOGGER: SHANE QUINN, ’15
Hello! My name is Shane Quinn. I am a Grad Student from Waterford, Ireland. I am currently studying in order to attain my masters in counseling here at Providence College. I was part of the PC class of 2015, studying psychology as an undergraduate. I am a GA in the Office of Academic Services, providing academic support to students. I am starting my 5th year competing for our famous track team and will be competing in the 2016 indoor & outdoor track seasons. I enjoy soccer, TV and movies. Most of all, I enjoy just lounging around watching all three, regaining my strength before having to go run around in circles! Check in with me at PC Smartypants for tips to academic success.

Many people decide that they will partake in some sort of exercise on a particular day. Unfortunately, with regards to going to the gym, going for a run, doing yoga or playing some ball, it is not the thought that counts!

We have all heard of people moaning about going to the gym, and we have all been that person who moans about going to the gym. Two excuses that you will commonly hear are: “I’m too tired to go to the gym” or “I don’t have enough time to go to the gym”. Occasionally, both are true. However, most of the time exercise can help with these problems.

According to researchers at the University of Bristol, employees who exercised before work or during lunch were better able to handle the day’s demands. General attitude and mood also improved. 72% of workers reported improvements in time management, 79% said mental and interpersonal performance increased and 74% said they managed their workload better. If exercise improves all of these aspects of your hectic college life, you can help create more free time! Going to the gym or going for a run can help turn what people consider 4 hours of study into 2-3 hours of your time. Being a current student athlete, I know for a fact that on my running days I can get much more done, as opposed to those few days that I don’t run!

I know from experience that exercise can help your workload in 5 specific ways: It can pump you, increase your confidence, increase your capacity to learn as well as building your momentum to be able to accomplish more throughout the day. It is a busy few weeks ahead here at Friartown, hopefully this post will encourage you to actively seek out exercising to help your motivation!

One thought on “The Importance of Exercise in College