Welcome to 2018!

Posted by: on January 25, 2018   |Comments (0)|Students

I hope you enjoyed some time off with your student during the winter break. Now, with second semester classes well underway, we are all getting back into our routines. I often think that one of the nice things about college life is that a new semester provides more opportunities for students to engage with members of their academic community in lots of different ways.

And … this semester started off with a memorable celebration, indeed. During the first week of classes, the College hosted the first “Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. Convocation Week.” Weeklong activities included panel discussions, presentations of art, music, local food vendors, and a very special MLK Candlelight Vigil in St. Dominic Chapel

The highlight of the week was the convocation at which Bernice King, daughter of Dr. King, was the keynote speaker. This event also featured the presentation of the first MLK Vision Award to the three originators of the MLK Scholarship Program at Providence College. (I am proud to say that my husband, Dr. Francis MacKay, was one of the three that received this award. Oh, what a night it was!)

So, what’s next? Well, we have our Alumni & Family Weekend on February 9-11. I always think of this as a very special weekend as families and alums come together to experience the true spirit of our PC community.

The weekend includes some great “Super-Powered” sessions for students and families that address everything from information on career resources, keeping students safe, and helping students find their passions. Designated tracks for sophomore/juniors, seniors, and alumni are an added feature this year that can help you to choose a session that works best for you and your student.

As always, I look forward to connecting with many of you during this weekend. And, as you engage with families of friends and roommates, I encourage you to connect with alums — hear their stories —  and celebrate with them their devotion to an institution that we all love.

Go Friars!

Jackie