Something for Everyone

Posted by: on October 27, 2017   |Comments (0)|Students

During the last month or so, I have had a number of parents ask about food choices for their sons and daughters who are vegetarians. Although I am familiar with most of what our dining service offers, last week I decided to take a walk over to Raymond Dining Hall to chat with Jennifer Wells of Sodexo. It was a lovely fall day, so it also gave me an excuse to get out of my office and take in the beauty of our campus. I am happy to share with you some of what I learned from my visit with Jennifer.

• For our vegan and vegetarian students, there is a self-serve hot entrée station called “Also at Classics” where items like quinoa primavera, teriyaki tofu, sofrito black beans, and nutrient-dense sides, such as roasted sweet potatoes and fresh steamed broccoli spears, are available.
  • At the cold vegan bar, students will find hummus, tabbouleh, bean salads, and other specialties like Moroccan roasted carrot salad. (I love their hummus!)
  • The menu at the “Vegetarian Toss” station offers options like quinoa bowls, crispy Buffalo tofu sliders, lettuce wraps, and falafel. Ingredients can be customized, and the dish is prepared fresh in just minutes.
  • Throughout the dining hall, a variety of options can be found on any given day. Flatbread pizzas, sandwiches, and soups are all included in the rotation of vegan and vegetarian choices. Of course, there is always the large salad bar that offers fresh produce along with whole grains, beans, and seasonal ingredients.

Parents, please let your sons and daughters know that if they have any questions or concerns about dining options they can make an appointment at pcdining@providence.edu to meet with Sarah Ereio, the dietitian. In the past, parents and students have informed me that she has been very helpful in working individually with students to help them make the most of their food choices.

Well that’s all for now. It’s time for lunch!

Jackie