So Much Going On…

Posted by: on February 16, 2018   |Comments (0)|Students

Well, February might be the shortest month in the calendar year, but at Providence College it has been one of the busiest. There’s so much going on involving our students, families, faculty, and staff. And, of course, our Dominican presence is a constant reminder of the kind of community we are called to be.

Alumni & Family Weekend was a great success with so many families and alumni returning to our beautiful campus. Deirdre Driscoll-Lemoine ’98G, the director of college events and the parent of a junior, told me that she and her team “are especially committed to delivering a great schedule of events in order to enhance the family visit back to PC.” She wanted to thank the students for doing “a phenomenal job highlighting the best of PC at Friarcon,” which took place on Friday evening.

It was a busy time for me that weekend, but I loved every minute of it — especially since we didn’t have to deal with a snowstorm this year! On Saturday morning, I had breakfast with the Parents Leadership Council and then spoke to families at Spotlight Providence, a program for  early admitted students. A very special part of my activities that morning was to greet students and their families at the College’s first PC1G Senior Celebration, a reception celebrating the accomplishments of seniors who identify as first generation college students.

This month, we are also launching our “Language Bank,” which is a resource for our non-English speaking families. What I love most about this project is that it is truly a campus-wide endeavor coordinated by the Parent Program and the Division of Student Affairs, with special support from faculty and staff volunteers. I want to give a “shout out” to Alison Sjovall, student affairs communications & assessment specialist, and her student Rhiannon Palmieri for all the work they did to get the website up and running. Check it out here:

As I recently shared with you, the spring semester began with a celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr. Convocation Week, which included an address from Dr. King’s daughter, Dr. Bernice King. I hope you will take a moment to hear from alumnus and current Director of Multicultural and Student Success Programs, Ralph Tavares, as he talks about his own journey and his current efforts to support our students.

Finally, classes will soon be suspended for spring break. I know that many of your sons and daughters will be headed for home, while others have special commitments or trips planned that have them going in different directions. In any case, I hope they all have some time to refresh before classes start and mid-semester examination period begins.

God Bless.