Meet Sarah Kane ’19

Posted by: on February 13, 2017   |Comments (0)|Uncategorized

Hi everyone – I am from Marshfield, Mass., and a pre-engineering major in the 3+2 program. The 3+2 program allows me to get an individualized bachelor’s degree in physics, mathematics, and chemistry from PC in three years, then continue my education for two years at Columbia University or Washington University in St. Louis – allowing me to obtain a second bachelor’s degree in engineering.

Although my time at PC is short and hectic, I still manage to be thoroughly involved in many of the communities on campus. I am a member of the Board of Multicultural Student Affairs (BMSA), the treasurer of S.H.E.P.A.R.D, and a member of Asian-American Club. I am currently in the process of reapplying to be an Orientation Leader in the fall, a role which I very much enjoyed last fall. I love connecting with students who are new to the PC community and helping them cope with their new lives away from home.

On the academic side of things, I am a tutor in the physics department and, beginning this semester, I am also doing research in the S-lab at Providence College, which is run by Dr. Stephen Mecca. One of the best things about being a second semester sophomore is that a number of my courses are now more major specific.

My Advice to Parents

Encourage your students to become involved in the campus community because it is the best and easiest way to make PC their home away from home.  Through my involvement with various groups on campus, I have found a variety of friends and mentors with students, faculty, and staff.

Encourage your student to try a club even if they are unsure of  the choice because, at this point in the year, people are still trying out clubs and looking for the “best fit.”

To keep up-to-date on all of the events that are happening on campus, I suggest that students follow Providence College student life social media. I especially recommend that you encourage your sons and daughters to read the “Morning Mail,” a campus email that is distributed daily and provides lots of information about upcoming academic and social programs.

Go Friars!