Invitation to membership in Theta Alpha Kappa
February 14, 2020
Dear Theta Alpha Kappa Candidate:
I am pleased to invite you to apply for membership in this prestigious and internationally recognized honor society. If you are an undergraduate student who has completed three semesters at Providence College and completed (or are registered in) at least twelve semester credits in theology at Providence College with an average grade of 3.5 or better, with a 3.0 grade point average overall, then you are eligible for active membership in the College’s sponsored Chapter, Theta Alpha Kappa Chapter. (Please note that being a theology major or minor is not a requirement).
If you are a graduate student who is enrolled in a Providence College Graduate Theology program, has completed at least one half of the residency requirements of their current degree program here or at an institution with a local chapter of TAK, and has attained at least a 3.5 (or B+) grade point average in their course work to date, then you are also eligible for active membership in our Theta Alpha Kappa Chapter.
In 1976, Professor Albert Clark, F.S.C., established Theta Alpha Kappa at Manhattan College in Riverdale (the Bronx), New York for the purpose of recognizing the academic achievements of religion and theology students. Since then, Theta Alpha Kappa has grown to more than two hundred chapters nationally in four-year educational institutions ranging from small religiously affiliated colleges to large public research institutions. It is the only national honor society dedicated to recognizing academic excellence in baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate students and in scholars in the fields of Religious Studies and Theology.
What are the benefits of being a member of Theta Alpha Kappa?
Theta Alpha Kappa maintains a vigorous national program of scholarship awards and fellowship competitions; its primary publication, the Journal of Theta Alpha Kappa, offers an annual prize and the publication of outstanding student papers.
You will receive permanent notation on your college transcript and also on the printed program at your Providence College Commencement. No matter what your career plans for the future may be, an accolade from Theta Alpha Kappa indicates seriousness of purpose. It will help make your employment resume stand out from all the rest. In addition, your induction into Theta Alpha Kappa will be honored at the formal Initiation Ceremony to be held at Providence College on Thursday, April 23rd, 2020 at 4 PM at the Center for Catholic and Dominican Studies. This formal Initiation Ceremony may be attended by relatives and friends if they so desire, with a small reception to follow.
If you are interested in pursuing membership in Theta Alpha Kappa, please refer to the instruction sheet (see below) and return the application form and payment of $30.00 initiation fee (cash only) to the Administrative Assistant of the Theology Department, Mrs. Katie Titus, in Siena Hall 202 as soon as possible and no later than Friday, March 6th, 2020. Materials received after that date cannot be processed. The $30.00 initiation fee to the National Office is meant to cover the costs of processing your application and printing your certificate of membership. This is a one-time payment.
If you are a graduating this year and wish to receive an official TAK Honor Cord for graduation, there is a $15.00 (cash only) fee for this, which can be given to Mrs. Titus along with your material. If cost is an issue, please reach out to me.
If you are person with a disability and require an assistive device, service, or other accommodation to participate, please contact the Central Reservations Coordinator (401-865-2070; Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm) well in advance of this event.
With all best wishes,
Daria Spezzano, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Theology
Advisor, RI Alpha Chapter,
Theta Alpha Kappa
If you are interested in pursuing your candidacy, you must:
- Complete the attached application.
- Enclose $30.00 (cash only)
- If you want an official TAK Honor Cord for graduation, include $15.00 (cash only) with your payment.
- Deliver ALL of the above to Mrs. Katie Titus (Siena Hall 202) no later than Friday, March 6th 2020. Late returns cannot be processed.
APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION
TO THE PROVIDENCE COLLEGE CHAPTER
OF THETA ALPHA KAPPA
Surname Middle Initial First Name
College Address Box #________________________ Campus Phone #_______________
Expected Graduation Date______________________
THIS FORM SHOULD BE RETURNED TO MRS. KATIE TITUS, SIENA HALL 202, BY FRIDAY, MARCH 6th, 2020
- Undergraduate students must have a) completed at least three semesters (or five, quarters) at an institution having a local chapter in good standing, b) completed a minimum of twelve (12) semester credits (or eighteen quarter credits) in courses representing Religious Studies or Theological Studies, c) attained a grade point average of at least 3.5 (B+) in such courses, d) attained at least a 3.0 grade point average (or B) in their total academic program to date, and e) been ranked in at least the upper 35% of their class in general scholarship at the time of induction. 2. Graduate/Professional students must a) be matriculated in programs of Religious or Theological Studies, b) have completed at least one half of the residency requirements of their current degree program at an institution with a local chapter of TAK, and e) have attained at least a 3.5 (or B+) grade point average in their course work to date.