PC Blogs

120 Hours? Blink of an Eye

Hello! Especially to future students/parents and current PC underclassmen. If you haven’t already stumbled across this in your research or heard about it on one of our campus tours, PC has an unbelievable internship program that many students participate in. I never thought I would be someone with 2 internships over 3 semesters already under my belt, but I am so grateful that is the case.

Time is valuable as we all know, no matter what the “to-do” list of our daily lives consists of. It seems that some days, we would pay big money for just a little bit of down time. While I definitely have those “wishing” moments, I thrive off of busy days and packed schedules. Last summer and fall, I worked for an athletic shoe company in Brighton, MA. doing Field Sales Analysis, thinking I wanted to go into Business upon graduation. I had an amazing experience with them and learned so much about a successful company and its inner workings. Not only did I gain knowledge and real world experience, I received academic credit at PC and was assigned a marketing professor to mentor me. But then, I began this year with the “nursing” bug and made up my mind that I wanted to be providing direct patient care as a career. Game changer, I know.

So, my nursing hat goes on this summer and I begin to frantically search for a fall internship fulfilling my Health Policy and Management senior seminar requirement. 120 Hours over the course of the semester. At first, the number seems overwhelming with 5 classes and maintaining a social life, but I soon found that it is not only do-able, but also the most beneficial experience I have had so far in my college career.

As high school seniors, I’m sure you are thinking these internship opportunities are so far off for you and that networking for a future career is lightyears away. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but life is about to sneak up on you. The earlier you land yourself in “that” internship that reassures you of your future career aspirations, the happier you will be and the more valuable you will feel as an intern, as a student, and for me, as a future nurse.

Internships can do one of two things: Tell you what you want to do and tell you what you don’t. I was lucky enough to experience two different organizations that I can definitely picture myself becoming a part of in the future, however I had to ask myself the difficult questions, one of which being, “What makes my eyes open wide after a long day?” Patients. Seeing a nurse administer medicine to the most medically compromised patients in the hospital I have spent 104 hours at thus far this semester. Leadership meetings to talk about a Joint Commission visit happening in just a few weeks. I found my niche. I found it not only through academics and the time spent in Feinstein and Harkins, but in real life settings that were offered to me through PC’s insanely extended networking community. Each major has these types of opportunities that are just waiting to be taken advantage of. As my internship comes to an end in just a few short weeks, I am filled with tons of different emotions–gratitude, sadness, but ultimately a heightened understanding of what it is that makes me, me. The opportunities are there. It is just up to us students to reflect on them and go full force ahead in making them our own. Spend some time thinking about this. As an almost graduate of PC, I am speaking as someone who wishes I had gotten this advice as an incoming freshman. Enjoy your weekend and even keep in mind the question of “What makes your eyes open wide after a long day?”

See my posts entitled “My Favorite Class: Field Experience” and “Never Too Early: Internships” for more information!

Comments

1. I am actually thankful to the holder of this web site who has shared
    this great article at at this place.

2. I ddo not create many comments, bbut I looked
    at a bujch of comments here 120 Hours? Blink of an Eye.
    I actually ddo hazve some questions for you if it’s allright.
    Could it be just me or does it look like lie a few of
    the comnents look like they are written by brain dead individuals?
    :-P And, if you are writing at additional sites, I would like to foplow you.
    Could you mzke a list of the complete urls of
    your social community pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

3. I feel that is among the so much important info for me.
    And i am happy studying your article. However should statement on few basic issues,
    The site style is wonderful, the articles is in point of fact excellent : D.
    Just right process, cheers

Speak Your Mind

*

PC Blogs