PC Blogs

The Rewards of Student Teaching

photo 2 (7)There are a lot of reasons that I want to be a teacher, and my experience through the education program at Providence College has been so rewarding that I am constantly reinforced when it comes to my love of this profession. I know that this post might not appear to be applicable to non-education majors or prospective students, but I am so excited right now that I just need to express my joy. Honestly, no matter what you choose to do, PC gives such great opportunities, and this is my chance to show you one of them.

As you know from my previous posts, I spend my days this semester at North Providence High School, which is about five minutes away from PC. I love being here, and so far I have taken over one class officially: my 10th grade American Studies students. They are a great group and remind me every single day why I love teaching. Last week, I assigned them a project after teaching them about Andrew Jackson’s government and the Trail of Tears. I assigned this project because, though I knew that the students could explain Jackson’s administration easily in class, I wanted to see what type of creativity they put into it on their own terms. The project gave them the choice of one of three options: a political cartoon, a diary entry, or a playlist. The projects were handed in today, and I am ecstatic. They did so much more than I could have ever asked for, and I am so proud to see that they truly took ownership of their learning and put some flair into this assignment rather than writing an essay. I just have to show you some of the projects, but choosing which ones to post is so difficult because I honestly believe that every single one is incredible. I know I’m a nerd, you can remind me, but I am so excited to spend some time grading these. This is why I love teaching: seeing the students take the material into their own hands and come up with something creative and exciting means that they are learning in a way that is best for them. I love it!

photo 1 (7)

photo 3 (7)

photo 4 (4)

Comments

1. Bella and Mary says:

PAIGELOVEHISTORY

2. SERIOUSLY. IT’S EVEN COMMENTED ON YOUR BLOG DADDAZIO?!?!?!?!?!? -.-

Speak Your Mind

*

PC Blogs